From: owner-stds-802-3-hssg-serialpmd@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-hssg-serialpmd@xxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of DAWE,PIERS
(A-England,ex1)
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 11:09 AM
To: '802.3ae Serial'
Subject: From serial PMD call, 13 Feb. Next call at usual #

1.	Report from jitter meeting

Mike Dudek gave an unofficial report from last week's jitter meeting in
Colorado: see the official notes.  The people on today's call thought that
the approach proposed, basically using total jitter at TP3 as the criterion,
was attractive because more clean and straightforward than some others.

Two issues were raised:
a.	A real receiver in test equipment at TP3 would have its own noise
which would add jitter.  A try-out on the bench to see how much of an issue
that was, and whether a correction technique would be accurate enough, would
be very welcome.
b.	Is a transversal filter with two equal taps a suitable worst case or
does its symmetry null out an impairment?  Piers to think about this, other
opinions welcome of course.

2.	Jitter

Benny Christensen has some CDR jitter tolerance measurements at 2.5 and
3.125 GBd.  This isn't SONET type jitter tolerance but looking for low error
rate operation with high frequency jitter.  He will post these for
discussion next week.  Juergen Rahn will also post some slides for
discussion next week.

3.	Interferometric Noise

Petar and Peter are working on their position statement.  They hope to post
it in time for a discussion next week.

4.	In case anyone has missed it, the next draft standard is available:
see email from Brad Booth, 9 Feb.  Just 10 balloting days to go!!

Next meeting
Same time at the usual phone number:

4pm GMT = 8am PST Tuesday 20 February 2001 for an hour and a half -ish
 +1(816)650-0631  Access code 39209

Piers

David Kabal (E-mail).vcf