Re: Random jitter bandwidth and minimum width pulses

Dawson -

I did some quick scratching, and determined that for single jitter events that
each have a 1e-12 probability of exceeding +/-0.175 UI (peak, or 0.35 UI pk-pk),
the worst case probability of two adjacent edges closing 0.25 UI is less than
1e-13. So, I think we are okay. Am I understanding this correctly?

The fact that random jitter is most likely band-limited, as you pointed out
earlier, should provide additional comfort.

This quick scratching did not take into account transition density (there are
typically at least twice as many bits as transitions) and that cumulative
distribution functions are single-sided. This stuff is generally "in the noise".

Tom

"Kesling, Dawson W" wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Thanks for your thoughts. Here are some answers to your questions.
>
> 1. I've tried various seeds and come up with similar results.
> 2. The probability of minimum width pulses is about 1e-4, as you reasoned.
> But pulses short than 0.75 UI still don't get through the compliance channel
> without violating the receive eye (my sim results). The amount of jitter
> required to cause pulses of this width is not so far out on the Gaussian
> tail and the probability goes up fast. That being said, I don't think it is
> a real concern since real systems don't have so much RJ as I'm sim'ing with.
> (I've increased RJ to get about 1e-2 BER instead of 1e-12.)
> 3. My data sequence is alternating K28.5. So there are 500 jittered edges in
> 1000 baud.
> 4. I chose 20 MHz as a rough PLL corner and was thinking like you that it
> was reasonable. I better let you experts debate it and let me know!
>
> -Dawson

begin:vcard
n:Lindsay;Tom
tel;fax:425/806-4050
tel;work:425/806-4074
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Vixel Engineering
adr:;;11911 Northcreek Pkwy So.;Bothell;WA;98011;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:Tom.Lindsay@xxxxxxxxx
title:Standards & Specifications
x-mozilla-cpt:;-5760