RE: XAUI channel group delay

Hi Dawson

I don't quite understand this.

To me it seems reasonable that the maximum pp group delay MUST be less that
1 bit period (ie. 320 ps for a 3.125 Gb/s). At this limit the ISI will be
severe.

The impact of the ISI is dependent on the energy that leaks into the
adjacent bits periods. A flat group delay corresponds to a linear phase,
which means that all frequency components of the signal arrive at the far
end simultaneously, and thereby all the signal energy stayes within its bit
period.

This means that large group delay variation may be allowed if the signal
energy is sufficiently low in that frequency range.

So, strictly speaking, one may allow larger peaks in the group delay
provided that the integrated signal energy over the particular frequency
range around that peak, is less than a few procent of the total signal
energy. This may be what is included by specifying the span (but this
assusmes a flat signal spectrum).

The ISI (eye closure method) may give a more correct picture of the impact
from group delay variations, as this is a time domain measurement (where the
integration of the signal energy convolved with the group delay) and
actually measures directly the signal that the receiver will see. The group
delay is only a handy way to look at the behavior in the frequency domain
but may not give the correct picture in the time domain.

One has to consider this convolution with the signal spectrum and be more
specific about the definitions.

Benny
  llllllll   ii     llllllll     llllll
ll                ll           ll      ll
ll    llll   ll   ll    llll   llllllllll
ll      ll   ll   ll      ll   ll      ll
  llllllll   ll     llllllll   ll      ll

GIGA, an Intel company
Benny Christensen, M.Sc.E.E, Ph.D.
Mileparken 22, DK-2740 Skovlunde, Denmark
Tel: +45 7010 1062, Fax: +45 7010 1063
e-mail: benny.christensen@xxxxxxxxx, http://www.giga.dk