From: Tord Haulin [mailto:Tord.Haulin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 2:38 PM
To: Kesling, Dawson W; Serial PMD reflector (E-mail)
Subject: XAUI skew

Dawson,

Clause 47 has specifications on differential skew both for the transmitter and receiver. There is however no definition for differential skew, or method given for measuring it. In paragraph 47.3.4.1 the differential skew is said to include the effects of intersymbol interference, ISI. I would think the main effect of ISI is deterministic jitter, which is part of the jitter specifications. To define and measure skew, we would probably have to relate it to rise and fall times and define a common mode load and load balance with tolerances. The transmitter skew and possible crosstalk along the line is filtered by the channel common mode transmission magnitude and group delay, which falls outside the channel model work done to date.

In the receiver compliance test some additional sinusoidal jitter is applied to ensure some margin for effects otherwise not accounted for. How about lumping skew into this, to avoid going into specifying enough parameters and conditions to take measurements on skew and related parameters? That would mean the skew limits could be removed from the spec. Comments?

Tord.