From: Jonathan Thatcher [mailto:Jonathan.Thatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 11:29 AM
To: 'Rohit Mittal'
Cc: Serial PMD Ad Hoc Reflector (E-mail) (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Jitter tolerance experiments on 2.5, 3.125 and 10 Gb/s

Rohit,

Thanks for your response.

Please excuse me for wanting to understand a bit more.... To simplify the e-discussion, I will make a couple of assumptions that might well be wrong. I apologize in advance if this is the case.

I assume from your description that you must have used the same (zero jitter) golden data/clock for both the transmitter and for the BERT. Or, you used the BERT to generate the test data using the same golden data/clock.

This sounds like it is a bench top test.

Did you ever do a similar test using a TIA or other device to measure jitter in a system environment?
Did you ever check these "line cards" for things like power supply noise to optical jitter transfer functions?
What was the state of the Rx during these tests?

jonathan