RE: XAUI signal detect - D2.0 comment 930

Dawson,
It seems like the need or benefit of carrying information on loss of
signal
at another interface across a XAUI link without using error codes
already
defined is limited to simple retimer applications. How much extra cost
for
all other XAUI implementations is this saving worth? Agreeing on that
might
be difficult. Is the receiver at the other end of the XAUI link the only

possible entry point for a simple retimer to send its loss of signal
info?
If not, we might have another alternative not impacting XAUI.

This is my interpretation of the alternatives. Please correct or
comment:
1. Add message wire(s) to XAUI.
2. Require XAUI transmitters and receivers to communicate LF via muting.
3. Require simple retimers to be less simple and generate error codes.
4. Accept reduced diagnostic capabilities when using simple retimers
5. Find a means for simple retimers to communicate LF without using XAUI

Best regards  Tord.