Re: Deficiencies in measuring input jitter tolerance

Mike,

Sorry about the delay in replying.

You are right in saying that IEEE Draft P802.3ae/D3.0, March 26/2001
specifies only 0.05UI sinosoidal added jitter. The rest is 0.35UI DJ
and 0.015UI rms RJ.

The question I was raising is how to generate DJ and RJ consistently. The
draft 3.0 does specify the property of RJ but doesn't specify a methodology
for generating it. I was suggesting that we could define a worst case way of generating the effect of these two types of jitter. Today, in
absence of any other method, engineers use sinosoidal modulation which was my concern.

In conclusion, our idea of testing IJT (input jitter tolerance) of the receiver
appears to complement whatever is outlined in the draft and not contradicting it.
The method we proposed tests set-up and hold time and input phase offset (or
input phase alignment) of the receiver phase detector and retimer flip-flop.
The set-up/hold time and the phase aligment limit the very high frequency
jitter tolerance which is most important in serial digital data communication.

The sinusoidal method is still very useful as it validates that the receiver has
loop bandwidth over 4MHz.

Regards
Atul