RE: SJTP: Minutes from today's call

Tom,

Patterns with as bad a disparity as 192 A1s or 192 A2s can theoretically
happen with the LAN PMD. However, the probability of occurance is extremely
small - on the order of once per lifetime of the universe. The exponents get
too large for my tools. I can calculate the probability of getting disparity
equivalent to that causeed by 48 A1s or A2s. An A1 or A2 sequence 48 bytes
long would have 384 bits of which 96 were one polarity and the rest were the
other polarity. The probability of the 58 bit scrambler putting out any
sequence of 384 bits with 96 or fewer bits being one polarity is

  2^384 * (C(384,96) + C(384,95) + C(384,94) + ... + C(384,1) + C(384,0))

where C(x,y) is the number of combinations of x items taken y at at time.

Calculating this out, less than one out of 6 * 10^22 sets of 384 bits from
the scrambler would have this bad a disparity. Assuming that each
transmitted bit starts a new set of 384 bits, this means that a run with
disparity as bad as this would be expected less than once per 190,000 years.
Remember that this is disparity equivalent to one forth of the A1 sequence
or the A2 sequence.  Also, this calculation ignored the effect of sync
headers. There will be 5 or 6 sync headers which each have one 1 and one 0
in 384 bits. Adding the effect of sync headers reduces the probablility of
this disparity by a factor of about 10.

Our objective is a test pattern that stresses the link as hard as occurances
which are expected once per day. For LAN PHYs this means a disparity far
less than that caused by the A1/A2 sequence. For WAN PHYs, of course it must
include the A1/A2 sequence since that occurs many times per second.

This is why there is a difference between the test pattern required for LAN
and WAN.

Regards,
Pat