RE: SJTP:Phantom sync headers

Ben,

Sorry, I seem to have confused you. Let me be more precise.

The Tx pattern generator starts and runs continuously through the normal A,
!A, B, !B pattern. It knows nothing of the Rx and makes no assumptions about
any Rx state. It just runs.

The Rx pattern generator KNOWS that if
1. it is synchronized at the 64 bit boundard and
2. that it generates the same first 64 bits of the A sub-pattern that the Tx
generator does, and that
3. if it continuously generates the same first 64 bits until these match
exactly the incomming pattern from the Tx, and
4. at that point starts to run free (just as the Tx generator does, no
longer repeating the 64 bit start of pattern), that
5. it is synchronized.

Does that help?

The other (perhaps confusing) point I was making before was that the Tx
pattern generator can use this same kind of lock on the initial 64 bit
pattern (repeating that portion of the A pattern continuously and not free
running through the rest of the A, !A, B, !B pattern) to generate a very
short pattern for measuring optical power (etc). In short, it could generate
a square wave or any number of other simple, short, patterns.

jonathan