RE: CRPAT / CJPAT Pattern Question

Folks - I think the concept John and Michael have gotten to has a lot of
value:
		Pat 1A	Pat 1B	Pat 1C	Pat 1D
Lane A	+		-		-		-
Lane B	-		+		-		-
Lane C	-		-		+		-
Lane D	-		-		-		+

However, before I comment more on how we could build this up and control
disparity, I have a higher level question (John's last response
triggered this...).

48A presently includes 3 short patterns and 2 "complete" patterns. Are
any recommendations given in clauses 47 or 53 for when/where/why these
patterns are used?

The is an "objectives" type of question. I believe the most important
requirement for the patterns is that they be used as a industry-common
tool for compliance testing at the highest level of integration for that
interface. As such, compliance testing patterns should be packet-based.
Obviously they must also provide the appropriate stress to excite
mechanisms that can degrade performance (such as crosstalk).

Where I am going with this, is that compliance testing is different than
diagnostic testing. Compliance testing needs a pattern by which jitter,
eye mask, and all other parameters in the standard are tested in an
overall sense. Michael - your ideas are very good, but I feel that
determining which channel the crosstalk is coming from falls to a
diagnostic level possibly outside of the scope of a standard.

Fibre Channel went through this beginning with the MJS project. The
approach was to move away from K28.7s, D10.2s and K28.5s and towards
CRPAT, CJTPAT, etc. For clauses 47 & 53, I recommend CRPAT and CJPAT be
specified for compliance testing (again, I'm leaving the build-up John
and Michael's ideas for later). I have no trouble leaving the 3 short
patterns in there as useful for diagnostics, but make it clear they are
not appropriate for compliance.

So, Rich and Dawson - what do you think?

Tom