AW: [802.3ae_Serial] another question on pattertn defined in the current draft:

Hi,
A Sonet receiver will generate LOF but no real LOS as power is there. This
will be interpreted as invalid input signal so may be mis connection. There
is not any standardized interpretation for this as the Primary alarm will be
displayed. So the interpretation of this is open. In this Sonet element AIS
will be inserted that will prevent further alarming in the Sonet world. The
10GE receiver will receive the AIS.

In case of legacy  WDM or OTN where you have non-intrusive monitors you will
have this alarms through al Translators and other NE up to the point where
this may hit a Sonet NE or the 10GE receiver. This LOF notifications again
may be interpreted as signal type mismatch so in particular if several
operator domains are passed may be interpreted as mis - connection.

OTN also ( expecting a Sonet signal but receives something different will
interpret this as signal type mismatch and insert Unframed AIS which will
than be also delivered to the 10 GE receiver. (this will lead to LOF in this
receiver).

An issue with this pattern may be that the LOF process is slower than the K-
bytes interpretation for protection switching and such fixed pattern may be
interpreted as stable K-bytes and a protection action may be partly
initiated.  (By the way, this is a known issue and was also considered when
defining the Unframed AIS in OTN)

Regards Juergen