RE: [802.3ae_Serial] Optical Fiber type

Tim,
IEC-60793-2 is undergoing a revision at this time which adds the type B1.3
fiber. The document is in FDIS (Final Draft International Standard) stage
and is expected to be published within 2001. As Dave Kabal stated, type B1.3
is a "low water peak" standard dispersion unshifted SMF. It has the same
properties as type B1.1 except for a specifiable water peak attenuation
(around the 1383 nm region). With low OH- ion absorption this type of fiber
supports extended wavelength operation to support WDM systems throughout the
range from 1260 to 1630 nm, and is a drop-in substitute for type B1.1 SMF.

Regards,
Paul Kolesar