[802.3ae_Serial] B1 Parity and CID test pattern

I am arriving a bit late in the game.  I've tried to
reconstruct the history of the jitter test "stuff"
from the archives, but there is precious little
information there.

It appears that the current implementation of the WIS CID
jitter test pattern is "hacked" onto an existing
SONET frame, and depends on the receiver having knowledge
of the "default bytes" in order to replace the CID locations.

Rather than create a separate framing/deframing mechanism
to insert or remove CID pattern bytes without affecting
parity, I would rather just make use of existing
framer resources (in my multi-protocol environment).
Why can't the CID bytes just be part of the legal WIS
overhead, rather than "hacked" on to an existing frame?

The whole idea of filling those bytes from different
resources (avoiding parity logic) and then replacing
those bytes upon reception to make parity work seems
like extra work.  I'd be interested in knowing the
rationale behind that decision.

Thanks

Bruce Nepple
Network Elements, Inc.