RE: [802.3ae_Serial] Consistent treatment of sensitivities and ma rgins

Hi all,

I little bit of history here is necessary to understand why the stressed
receiver sensitivity was introduced. During the development of the 802.3z
standard (Gigabit Ethernet) it became apparent that some receivers had a
very low bandwidth, although their sensitivity was OK. So, when combined
with multimode links that had already low bandwidth relative to the baud
rate, the overall system bandwidth was low and that resulted in extra DJ
and lower sensitivity than expected.

So, to answer your question, if the receiver has sufficient bandwidth, the
stressed receiver sensitivity is not necessary, but if it doesn't have
sufficient bandwidth, the stressed sensitivity measurement would flush it.

So, if people think that this is not a problem, especially for the 1300 and
1550 nm PMDs, we should consider eliminating the stressed rece9iver
sensitivity and making the nominal receiver sensitivity normative.  The
850nm case has to be considered more carefully.

Peter

Petar Pepeljugoski
IBM Research
P.O.Box 218