RE: [802.3ae_Serial] Support for 10GFC

Pat -

Aside from the editor's note, here is what is really happening in the
Fibre channel PMDs.

1. Per decisions made in the August FC meetings, the hope was that there
was sufficient margin in the PMDs so that changes would NOT be required
in the cable plant. We did NOT want to change distance, losses, or other
specs.

2. Because of my involvement with both committees, I was designated by
FC as the one to review the spreadsheet tool for the FC rate.

3. In running the analysis, some of the margins showed negative. Since
this was not what we hoped for, we have to make some decisions. Obvious
options are:
a. Increase the budget (the email).
b. Reduce distance.
c. Reduce other losses.
d. Spec non-standard fibers, etc.
e. Ignore the negative margin as modeling conservatism.

If option "a" is accepted by the PMD suppliers, then all is done. Option
"e" may be difficult for system integrators to accept. The other options
are the very ones we don't want to change.

Tom