[802.3ae_Serial] Questions on additional allowable insertion losses

A question - my understanding of the values in "additional insertion loss allowed" (for example in Table 52-10) is that they are determined by the difference between unallocated margins from their cable plant type and the one with the least unallocated margin. Is this correct?

That is, if 50 micron 2000 MHz-km has 0.8 dB unallocated margin (and it is the least of all -S variants), and if 50 micron 500 MHz-km has 1.3 dB unallocated margin, then 50 micron 500 MHz-km can allow up to 0.5 dB (the difference) of addtional insertion loss.

If this is true, then I find that the unallocated margin differences change considerably across the triple-tradeoff curves. For example, the differences become quite small at longer wavelengths and narrower spectral widths.

Three simple proposals:
1. Eliminate the row entirely, as the values become quite small in some cases.
2. Use the values determined by max center wavelength and most narrow spectral width.
3. Explain to me how I am confused by this (preferred option).

Note that unless all rows are determined by the same spectral conditions, some of these options will affect how the rows add up to equal the power budget.

Comments?

Tom
Stratos NW
425/672-8035 x105

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Lindsay;Tom
FN:Tom Lindsay
ORG:Stratos Lightwave;Opto NW
TITLE:Prin. Engr.
NOTE;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Home: lindsayta@xxxxxxx=0D=0A=0D=0Aom
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(425) 672-8035 x105
TEL;HOME;VOICE:(425) 775-7013
TEL;CELL;VOICE:(206) 790-3240
TEL;WORK;FAX:(425) 672-8014
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;6100 219th Street SW=0D=0ASuite 520;Mountlake Terrace;WA;98043
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:6100 219th Street SW=0D=0ASuite 520=0D=0AMountlake Terrace, WA 98043
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:tlindsay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
REV:20020123T175406Z
END:VCARD