RE: FW: [802.3ae_Serial] 12 dB return loss for transmitter?

Mike (et al):

We missed you at the last meetings. I hope all is well with you and that you will "meet me in St. Louis".

We had a very interesting discussion about return loss at the last meeting (Santa Rosa), although no attempt was made to change the specifications, only to rename them.

There appear to be four parameters of interest in a link, all confusingly named and specified, IMHO. My attempt to rename these parameters more descriptively and call them out explicitly by these new names met with enough resistance that it didn't get approved, although everyone appeared to think it was a "good" idea. Some present felt it was too much change and that it would invite comments to rename these parameters, but due to the amount of churn already present in the clause, let me try again:

  • Optical Return Loss Tolerance (ORLT): Looking out of the transmitter, the maximum reflectance it can tolerate during operation.
  • Transmitter Reflectance (TR): Looking into the transmitter, the maximum reflectance observed.
  • Receiver Reflectance (RR): Looking into the receiver, the maximum reflectance observed.
  • Maximum Discrete Reflectance (MDR): Looking into the fiber plant, the maximum reflectance of any point along that optical fiber (usually a connector).

I won't play around with the sign of the numbers right now, but here's how I think these are specified currently for each link type:

                        ORLT   TR        RR        MDR

10GBASE-S:     12         -           -12        -20

10GBASE-L:     12         -12        -12        -26

10GBASE-E:     21         -26        -27        -26

-          indicates not specified

Comments? Suggestions? I really want to make this as clear as possible, so I am going to recommend that: ORLT, TR be listed in each PMD's transmit parameters explicitly, and RR in each PMD's receive parameters, and that MDR be listed explicitly as such where it is now. In addition, if it is appropriate, we can include a measurement technique referencing appropriate other standards for any specifications we deem appropriate.

Cheers,
Dave

------

David Kabal