RE: Standards for connectors and attenuators

As additional clarification, the 'applications' in G.691 are specifically
related to 'application codes' which describe sets of optical interface
parameters and values intended to enable multisupplier compatibility at the
optical level for various point-to-point SDH links.   In the applications
Piers Dawe listed, the shorter of the 2 target distances applies to use of
1310nm devices on G.652 fiber (conventional single-mode fiber) and the
longer distance applies to 1550nm devices on G.652, G.653 (dispersion
shifted single mode fiber) and G.655 (non-zero dispersion shifted single
mode fiber).   G.691 defines only a V application code at 120km for 10Gb/s
systems.  In all cases, the target distances are for classification, not
specification, and are generally related to the historical 40km regenerator
spacing found in many embedded long-haul terrestrial networks.

I'd like to support the proposal from Bob Hughes for 802.3ae to reference
the G.671 specifications for components.  A revision of the Recommendation
has been prepared and is expected to be approved at the February 2001
meeting of ITU-T Study Group 15.  The numerical values quoted by Bob from
the 1996 version of G.671 have not been changed in the revised version.
Regards
John Eaves
TyCom Labs