RE: OMA vs. OMA/2 poll

I prefer what we had before: OMA (mW) and dBm(OMA/2).

This provides familiarity for each camp yet avoids the disadvantage of (c)
below.

Notice that a choice between (a), (b), (c) or what we had before is not
affected by our intention to be consistent at transmitter and receiver.  Nor
does the waveform midpoint come into a divide by two calculation - even
though really it is the distance from mid to top/bottom which "matters" and
determines performance, not the distance from top to bottom.

To repeat: the advantage of dBm(OMA/2) is that it comes in the same units as
average power which is very well entrenched in SONET and other optical
standards.  We can't ask them to go back and change their optical power
measure to dB0.5m can we?

OMA (mW) direct, rather than OMA/2, seems to align with what scopes do.

Tom's point 4, that making the OMA and average power definitions look
similar could allow sloppy thinking, is worth considering.

Piers