Re: [STDS-802-3-400G] Questions on your presentation

Hi Peter,

thanks for your e-mail, that helps me to better understand your question.

The intent of the presentation was to provide the feasibility of 56Gbaud tester to an internal audience, and share the fact that it can work for parts characterization and model tuning.

It becomes a presentation to share to 400G IEEE (you probably know as these things works…), yet there are some positive things that can allow to look forward in a positive way.

Looking at your presentation now, I recognized you had a very similar tester and very similar results too.

So my slides just relate about an experiment and we’re still away from the right completeness, from any potential implementation for manufacturing, since (as you quoted into your contribution) lot of questions has to be addressed.

        Still the losses of the MUX and DEMUX have to take into account, and the minimum power you can get out of the TOSA has to be considered (depends on technology too).

        Considering the 1340nm and TDP penalty question you pose in your presentation maybe would make sense to compute TDP after an equalization stage (similar to TWDP defined into 802.3aq) that should have to be agreed, since an equalizer can in principle partially recover the dispersion penalty (in the slide 11 budget a 1.5/1dB split was proposed), for sure this was addressed into detail into some discussion already (apologies since I’m not 100% synced with the contributions).

About the positive of the experiment, the link was decently closed, if I well understood your comment about the budget I think you have to consider that the -10.1dBm shown in this link refer to the single eye of the PAM.

So my measurement of -5.7dBm at 51Gbaud (assuming 1E-4BER as limit) corresponds to -10.5dBm actually including the PAM amplitude reduction of 4.8dB.

In the experiments if one asks if we can manage 4dB+1.5dB demux loss budget (as shown in slide 7, right-bottom chart) answer is yes at 51Gbaud, but this is a side effect with respect the fact we can use as a tester to verify model assumptions.

During the call I said we can probably improve the tester if this makes sense, for sure the RX quantization noise from the real time make us overestimating the BER (for this your results were amazing if you get a 2E-5 at -5dBm power at 56Gbaud).

Unfortunately get high-end equipment (and relative calibration) is a price to pay when dealing with complete new technologies or if the bit rate exacerbate up to 50Gbaud or Gb/s, so we should take into account this making decision for “low cost” parts (but since it’s correct to assume instrument and components manufacturers as part of the industry, that’s their business portion too).

Back to the experiment, we can expect dedicated RX DACs will be better and so this can be a further step ahead when technology will evolve (and it’s doing rapidly as you know).

The TX tester SNR can be also improved, so the system will become less noisy toward a better evaluation of penalties that can affect the link.

Hope this will explain my intent, I’ll keep ahead and provide you some more results when I’ll be back on 56Gbaud testing.

Thanks and ciao

Marco

Cisco Photonics Italy (VMCT05)

Via Santa Maria Molgora 48/C