[802.3_B10GAUTO] Proposed motion regarding PHY laning at 19 August 802.3cy Interim

All -

At our upcoming 802.3cy interim meeting on 8/19, I intend to make the following motion:

Move that: 802.3cy specify a 25 Gbps PMA and link segment, which are reused as 2x or 4x for the 50Gbps and 100 Gbps objectives, leaving issues of how to lane and all other parameters of the laned 25 Gbps PMA open for future proposals.

The details behind this are posted at https://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/cy/public/aug20/zimmerman_3cy_01_0820.pdf, and were also introduced at https://www.ieee802.org/3/cy/public/jul20/zimmerman_3cy_01_0720.pdf

This email provides advance notice that we intend to consider the motion at the meeting, and your opportunity to clarify any questions you have.  If you have questions, or would like to suggest a wording change to clarify the motion, please respond to the reflector. (you may send an email directly to me, but others may have the same question)

Of course, if you would like to discuss this or other issues, you are free to use the reflector to do so, but direct discussion on the motion itself is expected to happen at the meeting.

Thank you in advance, for your consideration.

-george

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.