Re: [802.3_DMLT] [IEEE 802.3br IET] San Antonio draft meeting minutes

Hi Ludwig,

Agenda – Rather than Recap of Geneva Tutorial, let’s call these first slides Use Cases, that seems to be what they mostly are. Or Background. I think we will need to reduce the number of slides in this section somewhat to allow time for the technical detail slides.

Then we need to make this cover the 802.1 and 802.3 combined functionality – it is a bit too tipped toward just 802.3br right now:

·         Architectural overview  - i.e. the MAC interface and split of functionality above and below the MAC.

·         Technical overview of Functions added above the MAC Client Interface – transmission selection adjustments for scheduling and preemption, control protocol

·         Technical overview of Functions below the MAC Client interface – MAC Merge sublayer operation and framing.

I think once the agenda is fixed this way, the slides are okay to share with the author/reviewer ad hoc – possibly with a note that the terminology (e.g. DMLT) needs to be updated. I don’t see anything inflammatory in it.

Some other comments as I come across them, not in order of significance.

Page 2 – white on light blue text  (column titles and presenter names) is hard to read – suggest changing to black text. Why are some email addresses in light blue and some in black?

On slide 12 (and check for usage elsewhere) any terminology that evolved between study group and PAR should be updated to current – so let’s remove DMLT and replace with IET (spelled out in first usage). Since this is a joint IEEE 802.1 and IEEE 802.3, should replace slide 12 with something covering the components of the solution:

Traffic scheduling and preemption from 802.1 and

Interspersing Express Traffic from 802.3

Michael, should something about 802.1CB also be said – adding it to the tutorial seems like a lot to load into one 90 minute slot – perhaps mention that it’s related to these use cases but the technical info isn’t covered in this tutorial?

Regards,

Pat