Re: [802.3_GEPOF] FTTH Council market study

Merek, I think you missed Eugene’s simile on units of measure, he wasn’t saying units of measure were relevant.

All, I agree with Merek that there are differences in parts of the US.  These differences are mostly in style of house and that is reflected in exterior walls.  Brick exterior walls are common in various parts of the country.  Wood siding is common in other parts (e.g. the Northeast).  In California, stucco is very common for exterior walls.  Interior walls though are likely to be wood stud in most parts of the country with the space between the typical 2”x4” studs mostly empty (horizontal fire stops may be required).  The cost of lathe and plaster has driven much of the interior wall surface to move to wall board (typically 1/2” thick gypsum covered with heavy paper).

Some construction commonality and/or requirements might also be regional.  California has requirements for additional strength in the stud walls and anchoring of the stud walls to the foundation (we have more earthquakes that does Nebraska), just as Florida would be more concerned about the previously mentioned hurricane concerns.  California might require tile or other non-combustible roofing, and Colorado has to worry more about snow load on the roof, but I don’t think roofs are relevant to network cable installation (though attic access would be).  None of this regional differences though affects how common conduit is in interior walls, or the fact that Wi-Fi signals are likely to be able to penetrate US interior wall construction.

It is important for us to reinforce to the working group that IEEE 802.3 is a global standard, and we have a responsibility to ensure that global needs are effectively addressed by Ethernet media options (not just justifying everything based on the US market)!

—Bob