[802.3_ISAAC] On the feasibility of 25Gbps

All,

Last week we had a very good presentation from German and Ahmad titled “Preliminary Feasibility Study for

25Gb/s over Coaxial Channels” and there was some follow-up discussion on this reflector.

In the enclosed presentation I have done similar theoretical analysis, but taken it one step further. The summary is

  • The theoretical calculations in presentation by Feyh & Chini are reproduced as baseline for further theoretical evaluation
  • The theoretically calculations for several assumptions show that with better cables or better PHY the negative margin in Feyh & Chini become positive
  • Finally, for realistic assumptions about cables, PHY design, and noise environment, the SNR margin is 2dB

This kind of analysis belongs more in the Task Force, and we need to do more detailed analysis there. However, given the nature of the discussion about the higher than 10Gbps discussion, I felt that sharing this analysis now might be useful to the Study Group.

I would really appreciate to hear any comments or concerns that people might have.

Ragnar