[802.3_ISAAC] statements about annex 4A implying a rate to the MAC.

Yesterday, during discussion, I believe Kamal asserted that annex 4A stated that the PHY must accept a full frame from the MAC, citing 4.A.1.2.1, and that that statement implied the MAC had a rate.  Reading 4.A.1.2.1, what I believe was the quoted section reads “Once the Physical Layer has indicated its readiness to transmit another frame by removing the carrierSense signal, it shall accept a complete frame from the MAC layer.”

Note that the text uses “Physical Layer”, not “PHY”, and is therefore consistent with the understanding I presented, where the RS (part of the Physical Layer, but not the PHY, and the sublayer between ‘rateless’ and ‘clocked’) may be involved in accommodating the MAC, accepting the frame for transmission at any rate, and passing them out to the PHY via its xMII.  Nowhere is the rate discussed for the physical layer; however, congestion is – implying that traffic flow through the entire physical layer may not be instantaneous or smooth.

These distinctions, while subtle, is important, as it demonstrates where functionality separates in the layers.

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx