Re: [802.3_ISAAC] Insertion Loss Limits for 802.3dm

All,

One of the factors that has been brought up in the discussion on IL-limits is that Coax and SDP cables have different insertion loss. While this is definitely true, it is also true that there is considerable variation in insertion loss within both categories. The enclosed plot shows simplified insertion loss models for number of cables that where discussed in the development of 802.3cy, as well as the coax cable limits (CX31a and CX174e) discussed in our Annapolis meeting.

The plot shows that the insertion loss for most of the STP/SDP cables falls between the limits for CX31 and CX174. While the cables introduced for 802.3cy may not all be representative for the camera application, this plot demonstrates that there is not a fundamental difference between Coax and SDP cable insertion loss.

Please note that the curves are simplified, and they do not correctly reflect frequency dependent variations like suck-out in the cables. In fact, Jonathan suggested in his email below that “probably STP cables should also have “speed grades” as the IL “suck-out” will determine the maximum operating frequencies of the differential pair”, which I think that the Task Force should consider. This could be done by limiting the frequency range of the IL-limit, depending on the data rate.

Some background on the simplified cable models I used is that the model assumes the commonly used insertion loss function

                IL(f) = a + b*f + c*sqrt(f) + d./sqrt(f)

where f is the frequency in MHz and the coefficients are given in the table at the bottom of this email (note that I used d equal zero for all the models in the plot). The coefficients were obtained by curve fitting to the plots from the 802.3cy presentations (in the fitting for the 802.3cy cable plots I only used b and c for the fitting). The parameters for CX31a and CX174e were obtained by using curve fitting to available plots (note that I am not using official parameters from 19642-11).

Ragnar

Model

CX31a

0.06

7.40E-05

0.014

0

CX174e

0.11

0.0002

0.02

0

boyer_3cy_01_10_14_20_c1

0

0.000124

0.022867

0

patel_3cy_01_0920

0

0.000207

0.022167

0

mueller_3cy_01_12_01_20_stp

0

0.000329

0.017601

0

diminico_3cy_01a_1_5_21_26awg

0

5.57E-05

0.021532

0

diminico_3cy_01a_1_5_21_28awg

0

4.21E-05

0.027283

0

koeppendoerfer_3cy_01_10_28_20_sdp3

0

9.93E-05

0.026227

0

neulinger_3cy_01_12_15_20

0

7.78E-05

0.023934

0

mueller_3cy_01_12_01_20_sdp

0

9.22E-05

0.021182

0

Gianordoli_Silvano_de_Sousa_3cy_01_02_09_21_24awg

0

8.38E-05

0.019005

0