Re: [802.3_RTPGE] Port naming...

Brad-

There is actually quite adequate precedent for the proposed naming convention of 1000BASE-T1 (as for whether that particular name is a good idea is another conversation)

The PHY specified in clause 23 was labeled 100BASE-T4 precisely because it used 4 pair instead of the 2 pair used in 100BASE-TX (by the way, the "x" in 100BASE-Tx was used because the PHY for 100BASE-Tx was externally specified, same for 100BASE-Fx) The PHY specified in clause 32 was labeled 100BASE-T2 because it used 2 pair (of Cat 3) instead of the 4 pair of Cat 3 used in 100BASE-T4

The industry and our customers managed to not be confused by the difference between Tx and T4.
T2 never actually made it to market.

The case for 10BASE-T and 10BASE-Te is quite different as they are fully interchangeable on a 100 meter Cat 5 link segment.

Frankly, I am more worried about the potential label confusion between 1000BASE-T1 and legacy carrier TDM T1.

I think 1000BASE-Tv is a bad idea because of potential confusion with network links (e.g. HDMI-BASE-T) used for television.

Best regards,

		Geoff Thompson