Re: [802.3_SPMD] state diagrams - question

Lennart – very good to heard from you.  In fact, I was thinking of you, and what we did in 802.3bt, when I wrote this.  I think that for now, I have found a good-enough solution to do what I want, without inventing new nomenclature.  After looking at my own email, it turns out that the convention added in 802.3bt (IF-THEN-ELSE) along with separating a couple of the cases that really needed to be separated anyways, appears to solve the problem nicely.  The thing about switch/case statements that I did NOT like is that they have the potential to be abused to collapse what really should be separate states into a single box with a bunch of cases…  After all, what is a state controller other than an state indicator, a set of actions for each value, and determining the next state indicator…  exactly what a switch/case statement does.

I hope there is some chance we get to see you soon, maybe when we are in Hamburg in September.

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx