Re: [802.3_PDCC] EXTERNAL: Re: [802.3_PDCC] voltage limiter comment from Annex J SA ballot

Thanks George,

I’m trying to imagine what my thought process would have been…

The SuggestedRemedy did suggest a separate test, but just for impulse [option c)]

  • If removed for impulse testing, the voltage limiter shall pass the impulse test when separately tested.

Testing must be for “at least one of” a), b), or c). MOVs are specifically designed to pass c).

The resistance after the test of 2M Ohm @ 500 Vdc says “after the test”. I now note that it does not say if this is before putting the components back in place.

  • If done with removed components, then the test should pass.
  • If MOVs were not removed, they are likely damaged.

I also notice one other very interesting point: "Voltage limiters intended to prevent Ethernet port insulation breakdown”. It reminds me of motor cables, where the cable length is limited to prevent transmission line effects from multiplying the voltage due to reflection. The higher voltage can break down the winding insulation and the motor fails. I imagine the transformer insulation could break down in the same way. The MOVs can serve to protect the insulation barrier.

This article discusses system-level implications of surge protectors introducing mains surges into imperfect site grounds and then additional equipment surge protectors introducing the ground surge across cables to damage connected equipment. (Maytum is referenced.) This reminds me of shielding, where the shield is supposed to protect the communication signals - but the termination becomes an entry point for interference. Drives are a prime example, where they create ground interference that can come back through the shield of the attached Ethernet. Separate PE and FE is one installation remedy. Unshielded cables can prevent the coupling, but isolation needs to be adequate. Isolation is sometimes a better strategy than shunting.

https://incompliancemag.com/lightning-surge-damage-to-ethernet-and-pots-ports-connected-to-inside-wiring/#:~:text=Ethernet%20ports%2C%20which%20typically%20contain%20a%20transformer-based%20isolation,of%20catastrophic%20over-voltage%20failure%20of%20the%20isolation%20barrier.

Regards,

Dave