Re: [802.3_NGECDC] materials to be reviewed in Friday 6/30 NEA Ad Hoc Telecon - Next-Gen MMF PMDs

Robert,

Thanks for sharing the updated presentation.

Andy and All,

I would like to comment on the cadence that you lay out for the industry of going forward in slide 6:

I would comment that the 5 year transition from 10G to 25G could have easily been 4 years if the Ethernet community would have adopted the paradigm of doubling of data rates sooner.  The Fibre Channel community has “doubled down” for over two decades now and standardized the 28.05Gb/s of 32GFC in 2013 while IEEE standardized 25GbE in 2016.  The 25G Ethernet Consortium did have their standard in 2014 as well.  My main comment is that the Ethernet industry could have made 25G available in 2014 if the industry had marched in step.

I think the Ethernet community learned from this and did do a good job of uniting around the 50G solution and is proceeding to rally around a 2018 availability date for 50GbE, 200GbE and 400GbE.  Fibre Channel is rallying around a 2019 availability date for 57.8G technology that will be known as 64GFC.  The Fibre Channel release dates can be found on this website: http://fibrechannel.org/fc-roadmaps/

This brings me to my final and main comment about interoperable 100G solutions available in 2020.  I find it hard to believe that the Ethernet community can rally around such an aggressive availability date for 100G serial lanes.  While individual implementations might be available at that rate, I don’t think the industry will have a standard or multi-vendor interoperability by that time.

A more reasonable availability date of 2021 for 100G would require an incredible effort and consensus at a level that I have not seen for such a varied industry.  With the typical multi-year cycles for IEEE standards of new technology like 100G serial, we will need to start a 100-800GbE standard this year to complete it by 2021.  Some new contributors will probably need to step up for this to happen.

I’ll end on an optimistic note and say that the pace of change is truly accelerating.  We are in unprecedented and exciting times.

Kind regards,

Scott Kipp

Ethernet Alliance and Fibre Channel Industry Association Roadmap Chair