[802.3_NGECDC] Input Requested for Beyond 400 GbE CFI

All,

I received a question after this week’s NEA meeting that I would like to get some feedback on from others.

The question was –

If 200 Gb/s per lane signaling were developed could efforts to define 200 GbE based on 1x200 Gb/s and 400 GbE based on 2x200 Gb/s be addressed.

I think it is actually a good question and important for me in developing the CFI Consensus deck and defining the SG chartering motion.  As shown by the slide below - 200 Gb/s signaling is applicable to 200 and 400 GbE. 400 Gb/s serial signaling might also be applicable to 400 GbE.

My own personal opinion is that the whole 1x / 2x lanes would then need to be examined on a PHY basis – as we have seen some instances where 2x lanes don’t see market adoption.

This also raises the question as to whether the study group would define more than one PAR.  Based on the above text – I think there is an opportunity for that or another project that spins out efforts based on consideration of schedule.

So I would appreciate some feedback from individuals as it impacts the consensus deck

Thanks in advance.

John