From: frank effenberger <frank.effenberger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:19 AM
To: STDS-802-3-NGEPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Proposed motions on the wavelength issue

Here is the problem with using a single downstream wavelength for the first channel.

If you do it my way, then we will need the following interfaces:

Option 1 25G.

Option 2 25G.

50G (using channels 1 and 2)

100G. (the channels are associated in the same way as the options 1 and 2).

If you do it your way, we will then need:

Option 1 25G.

Option 2 25G.

50G (using channels 1 and 2)

Option 1 100G

Option 2 100G   These last two are different because the association of the channels are different.

If we consider using the two option channels for 50G, then again, if we don’t use separate downstream channels, we end up with two types of 50G.

To the issue of cost: we are doing the options because we believe there is significant volume (>10M, eventually) in both of these applications.

The cost of bringing up a new laser wavelength is not so much, and it will be divided over a large volume.  It becomes negligible.

Sincerely,

Frank E.