Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Call for agenda items -- weekly consensus building for IEEE 802.3ca (100G-EPON)

Dear all:

A motion was passed at last meeting that results two upstream options for 25G, 1270nm (let’s call it blue 25G) and 1310nm (let’s call it red 25G). It seems a progress on the prolonged wavelength plan discussion, however, it does NOT solve the problems it claimed. Furthermore, it creates more problems that have much negative impacts on products and networks in the future.

The reason for two 25G upstream options, whether call it brownfield/greenfield or not, to my understanding, rooted with seeking of WDM coexistence with 10G PON (10G EPON, XGSPON) and GPON. The 1270nm blue 25G supposed to WDM coexist with GPON, and the 1310nm red 25G option WDM coexist with 10G PON.

The immediate drawback, on the surface, is that it creates TWO distinct 25G EPONs with 2 different sets of optics/colors, that divides the optical component market for the 25G EPON. Other negative impacts are more profound, but I’ll leave them for now and tune to discuss whether it solves the coexist problems it claimed.

Take coexist with GPON for example, GPON bandwidth is already under constrain for offering Gigabit services today, upgrade to 10G PON is imminent or happening, therefore, at the time for 25G EPON deployment, 10G PON may already widely deployed in field, some coexist with GPON.  This gives two coexist scenarios for 25G EPON: a). GPON and 10G PON (XGSPON for example) already coexist on the same ODN; b). GPON and 10G PON are on different ODNs.

For scenario a, neither blue 25G EPON nor red 25G  EPON could coexist with the GPON and XGSPON that already share the ODN.

For scenario b, the blue 25G could coexist with GPON and the red 25G EPON could coexist with 10G PON on separated ONDs.  It seems solve the problems at expense of colored 25G, however, this creates operational problems that exist in the lifespan of the 25G EPON.  Considering that if 10G and 25G already deployed, we’ll expect that 2.5G PON will gradually phase out. The net result is that there will be two 25G EPON islands, red and blue, in operators’ networks, to the end of the 25G EPON lifespan. They are isolated in otherwise physically neighboring networks. It will have much negative impacts on OPEX.

Therefore, the two optioned 25G upstream wavelength plan does not solve the coexist problems it claimed, and on the opposite, it creates outstanding problems on products and network operations.

There is a simple solution for 25G upstream,  only one upstream wavelength is needed to enable coexist with 10G PON and GPON – 1270nm (+/- 10nm).  It could WDMA coexist with GPON and TDMA coexist with 10G PONs.

Eugene