Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Call for agenda items -- weekly consensus building for IEEE 802.3ca (100G-EPON)

Hi Ed,

I am not entirely clear on the plan that you propose. I donâ??t see how data rates are to be upgraded for different kinds of networks.

For the coexistence with 10G-PON, it is more or less clear. There is only one possibility and 10G ONUs have to be taken out before deploying 100G upstream.

But for the coexistence with GPON, I can see three mutually-exclusive options and none of them support the entire upstream rate progression from 25G to 50G to 100G.

If an operator starts with GPON + 25G upstream, there is no way to add 50G upstream to the same network (forklift upgrade is required). If 25G upstream is skipped, then it is also not clear what is the way to get to full 100G: 50G + 2x25 or 2x50G. If the 50G upstream is feasible at that time, why would the operator add two wavelength at 25G instead of one at 50G to get to 100G. So, for the GPON coexistence, maybe only options 1 and 3 are viable.

For the greenfield, there are even more options:

In the Peacemaker plan, all initial optics options eventually converge into a single plan at 100G. But here, it seems the initial choice will determine the unique evolution path forever with no prospect of converging to a single plan. In the end, there would be three 100G upstream plans:

Is the above a correct interpretation of your proposal, or am I missing something?

-Glen