Re: [802.3_NGAUTO] Comments on Mike Tu's Presentation "Converging on Framing and Training - August 22, 2018"

Hi Paul,

In my FEC proposal, the baseline RS parameter is N=720, K=650, and m=10 bit/symbol. It consists of 100 64B/65B PCS blocks. The extra one data symbol is reserved for OAM.

Conceptually, the overhead bits are added in the following manner:

PCS input: 64 bit
PCS output: 65 bits

100 PCS blocks = 6500 bits
1 OAM symbol = 10 bits

FEC input: 6510 bits = 651 symbols
FEC output: 7200 bits = 720 symbols

Overall input/output ratio = 6400 / 7200 = 8/9.

Hope this clarifies your question. Or please let me know if you have further questions. Thank you.