[802.3_DWDM] Implications of SIGNAL_DETECT = FAIL

One of the key issues I believe that we as a group are going to need to resolve to move 802.3ct forward is the definition of when to set SIGNAL_DETECT to FAIL.

As a part of that discussion, it would help me to better understand what happens when SIGNAL_DETECT is set to FAIL.  My assumption is that a device would use that to determine that there was not a valid signal and therefore could not operate.  However, I’m also aware enough to know that I’m making an assumption which may or may not be correct.  Therefore, it would help me greatly if some of those that know 802.3 better than I could help me understand the implications to the system for setting SIGNAL_DETECT to FAIL, particularly when there is in fact a valid signal present.

Thanks for any help.

Matt