From: Eric Maniloff <eric.maniloff.ieee@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 4:54 PM
To: STDS-802-3-DWDM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_DWDM] DWDM signal_detect behavior

Thanks for the input Dave,

I'll fix the typo and add a bit of clarity (hopefully) on your point 2. Hopefully the chair is ok with me showing a slightly modified version.

Eric

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 1:21 PM David Lewis <David.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the presentation on this important topic.  I have a couple of comments and questions:

  1. On page 5 I think the first bullet should say “OSNR is the ratio ….”, not “ASE is the ratio….”.
  2. On page 6 you say that in coherent receivers the signal power is often measured independently.  I think you should elaborate on how this is different to just measuring average optical power at TP3 with a power meter.  I assume you are saying that with some signal processing and averaging out of the noise, it’s possible to calculate an average power for the signal alone.  If that is correct, then the indication will come from the receive DSP.
  3. On slide 8, I would support option 3.  It solves the problem for the standard.

Dave Lewis