发件人: Peter Stassar [mailto:Peter.Stassar@xxxxxxxxxx]
发送时间: 2020717 23:53
收件人: STDS-802-3-DWDM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
主题: Re: [802.3_DWDM] SIGNAL_DETECT Ad Hoc

Hi,

Because I had some thoughts after our call yesterday, I contacted Eric and Steve Trowbridge to get some feedback.

Apparently the three of us had independently come to a similar conclusion, that the SIGNAL_DETECT in Clause 154 is so unreliable for the intended applications, that we doubted the usefulness of it.

The three of us jointly feel that it will be impossible to define a suitable optical threshold that is also reliable and furthermore that the “real” signal detection actually is in the higher layers and not so much in the physical layer.

Thus we recommend to the group to remove the allocation/definition of an “exact” optical level for SIGNAL_DETECT.

Instead we recommend to assign a fixed OK status to SIGNAL_DETECT, in order to not mess up with the interlayer relationships.

Via this email I would like to check if there would be any objections to that approach.

If there are then Eric will move forward and set up an ad hoc to further discuss.

If there are no objections, then we can use this principle towards a suitable modification of the draft.

Before starting to develop appropriate text to describe this I would like to know your views.

Please let us know latest coming Monday 22 July.

Kind regards,

Peter Stassar, Clause 154 editor