[802.3_100G-OPTX] 10 km SMF

Hello

I mentioned last week during the Cu task force meeting that for first time in Fiber Channel standard about 1998 we defined the first 10 km SMF PMD for operation at 1063 MBAUD, the name if this standard is “Low Cost 10 km Optical 1063 MBAUD Interface 100-SM-LC-L” and you can still get a copy.  To support 10 km reach we introduced triple trade offs curves which later we also used in several Ethernet standards.
https://webstore.ansi.org/standards/incits/ansiincits3261999

The 1 GbE 1000BASE-LX has a specified reach of 5 km (the objective was at least 2 km reach), but the de-facto 1 GbE SMF Ethernet end up to be 10 km due to availability of FC 100-SM-LC-L products that could operate at 1.25 GBd.

Not at all trying to lessen for all those who may have developed use case for 10 km PMDs, but originally when we defined 100-SM-LC-L with 10 km was based on technology availability not real use case!

Thanks,
Ali Ghiasi
Ghiasi Quantum LLC