Re: [802.3_100G-OPTX] Proposed Agenda for 802.3cu ad hoc - Wed 12/11

Dear 802.3cu Task Force Participants,

During today’s Ad Hoc Conference Call, we had a lively discussion of several proposed changes to D1.1.

http://www.ieee802.org/3/cu/public/cu_adhoc/cu_archive/cole_3cu_adhoc_121119.pdf

We will have this discussion again during the Interim Meeting, the week of 1/20/20 in Geneva, with the above deck presented pretty much in it’s current form.

I would like to suggest that it would be to the Task Force’s benefit, if participants came to their own independent technical conclusion about the specs. changes prior to the meeting. All there is to be said about these topics has been said, and is now on-line. It’s unlikely you will hear new information during the Interim.

Most importantly, please carefully go through 121.8.5. At first blush, the math seems intimidating. The basic concepts are straightforward. A little bit of effort will lead to 90% insight, with the remaining details not that important.

Then review the key presentation in support of TDECQ – 10log10(Ceq):

http://www.ieee802.org/3/cd/public/July18/dawe_3cd_01b_0718.pdf

In addition please talk to your customers who understand optical specs, and get their view on this topic. If you are taken back by the response, you may consider not reminding them of decorum, and instead stay focused on their problems in deploying optics on a massive scale into mega-datacenters. 😊

I look forward to a substantive discussion in Geneva.

Chris