[802.3_B400G_ELEC] Suggested text for Straw Poll on AUI C2M loss target(s)

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for the valuable feedback and inputs on my 200 Gb/lane Electrical Interface and PMDs - Status Update contribution in today’s meeting.  The discussion was helpful for me to assess the current mindset of the participants on the topic and potential directions to take in order to move forward.

At tomorrow’s meeting (28 September), I will propose a straw poll to assess the group’s preference on the relative loss target for the front panel pluggable 200 Gbps/lane AUI C2M specifications as well as the number of targets (one loss target only or more than one).  The result of the straw poll will help me to understand the direction that the group wants to go and how I can encourage contributions to address the direction.   There is much work to do to get towards baseline candidates in mid 2023; and the hardest step of any journey is the first one.  :)

For the straw poll, I kindly ask that the group focus on the relative monikers of “medium loss” and “higher loss”, more than the specific values of loss.     Note as well that this is for the front panel pluggable use case, specifically.  Also, the insertion loss numbers suggested are die-die, not TP0-TP1a.

The suggested text for the straw poll is as follows (and subject to change in the meeting):
For the front panel pluggable use case, I am interested in 200 Gbps/lane AUI C2M specifications for:
  1. medium loss only (e.g. up to ~22 dB IL die-die per lusted_3df_01_220927)
  2. higher loss only  (e.g. up to ~36 dB IL die-die per lusted_3df_01_220927)
  3. both medium and higher loss
  4. need more information

Feedback/comments/suggestions are welcome

With regards,
-Kent