[802.3_B400G_ELEC] PKG model mode conversion - Follow up on yesterday's question

Hi All,

Yesterday Ali referred a question to me regarding the package model mode conversion value.

I wanted to provide a better answer than “negligible”.

After going back to check on the exact value, I found the mode conversion of the models supplied to be better than -30dB all the way up to above 60GHz (actually in some of the models I was seeing also better than -36) – Further tuning of de-skew, etc. may take the value even lower.

All that said, one needs to keep in mind that these models are synthetic, and lack much of the routing complexity of actual package routing.

Such complexity may force higher conversion results, which we actually may want to take into account in the budgeting of the spec (and I guess that was what Ali was referring to).

Exact impact of mode conversion in dB loss (of actual case packages), yet to be exactly analyzed, but…

Once we analyze it, IMHO, we will need to use this “a bit over valuated budget” to account for other parts of the same table which were undervalued.

Best regards,

--Liav