From: Richard Mellitz [mailto:000014533bad0b9c-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: January 4, 2024 1:42 PM
To: STDS-802-3-B400G-ELEC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [802.3_B400G_ELEC] MLSE

I believe it would be helpful to start public discussion about MLSE.

The presentation https://www.ieee802.org/3/dj/public/adhoc/electrical/24_0104/shakiba_3dj_elec_01a_240104.pdf  by Hossein Shakiba at the past 1/4/24 IEEE802.3dj electrical ad hoc was quite extensive.   There is a lot to digest there and we ran out of time.  There are many moving parts.  First maybe we can simplify to make progress.

The intent of the presentation seems to illustrate a comprehensive method to compute a delta SNR which equates to a delta COM. I believe the basis is delta SER when MLSE is applied.  Perhaps a simple way of moving forward is to address a straw poll as to what delta COM or delta SER folks are likely in the worldwide ecosystem and considering PVT.

Work toward our baseline could then be mediated using the barometer of expectations most folks can easily comprehend.

Thank you,

Richard Mellitz

Richard Mellitz

Samtec Southeast