[802.3_B400G_LOGIC] 答复: Follow-up questions regarding lu_3df_logic_220425

Hi Adee,

1)       For 200G AUIs and 200G PMDs, End-to-end FEC is better. We can find many of reasons for this, for example:

a)         It is not necessary to decode the FEC inside the CDR, decoding inside the CDR could hardly provide performance improvement. For HOST—AUI (segment1) à CDRà PMD (segment 2) à CDR (segment 3) àHOST link , we have three independent link segments, these segments are independent with each other, assume the BER of these three segments are BER_1, BER_2 and BER_3, respectively. The overall BER of the whole link is BER_1+BER_2+BER_3. Let’s assume BER_1 ~=BER_3 ~=1e-4 and BER_2~=1e-3, the overall BER of the whole link is BER_1+BER_2+BER_3~= 1e-3 which is the same order of BER_2. It means for segmented links, the worst segment is dominant in performance, and the FEC only need to cover the worst segment.  This was illustrated in our previous contribution https://www.ieee802.org/3/df/public/22_02/lu_3df_01b_220215.pdf page 11.

b)         FEC decoding inside CDR is very costly, full Rx PCS and full PMA functionality should be implemented inside the CDR which is overwhelmed. These functions include the virtual lane alignment, deskew, reorder as well as the FEC decoding. Suppose we are considering a 800GE CDR design with FEC termination, since the FEC of Ethernet is per port not per lane, we need to integrate a combo Ethernet PHY of 4*200GE, 2*400GE, 1*800GE. Furthermore if we use RS(544, 514) for 200G AUIs and use higher overhead FEC for 200G PMDs, we need an extra PLL inside the CDR. We do not see any feasibility or economy of such a solution. What's more, the effectiveness of such a scheme is doubtful.

c)         If FEC is decoded inside CDR, that means the CDR implementation is protocol dependent, we completely loss the flexibility of hardware design. Bit-transparent CDR is always preferred it provides the most flexibility, and the CDR can be used for both the front plane and backplane. Bit-transparent CDR can support link bonding and breakout easily. For example, we can use two independent 4 lane CDR chip (800G) work in parallel to support 1.6TE.  We cannot support FEC decoding in this scenario because the FEC of Ethernet is per port not per lane.

To answer your questions:

Q: Should we really shoot for an end-to-end FEC which will be the same FEC for all 200G/lane PMDs, as suggested by the top row of slide 3?