From: Abbott, John S <AbbottJS@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2022 10:54 PM
To: STDS-802-3-25GAUTO-POF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_25GAUTO_POF] [EXTERNAL]--[802.3_25GAUTO_POF] question on abbott_3dh_01_221130_update_GI_POF_BW_length_dependence.pdf

Dear 802.3dh members,

There was a question following my presentation in yesterday’s 802.3dh ad hoc

https://www.ieee802.org/3/dh/public/Ad_Hoc_Nov%2030_2022/

In a number of presentations in 802.3 over the years, including cz and dh,

I use the approximation  BW[GHz.km] = 0.2/sigma [nsec/km] to give a rough approximation of the expected bandwidth BW of a fiber given the  RMS sigma in the time domain.

 The question was where does the “0.2” come from because others use 0.35 etc.

The simplest, shortest answer is that 0.187/sigma is the correct relation if sigma is the standard deviation (RMS sigma).

In some cases it may make sense to use 2*sigma which will look more like the ‘width’ of the pulse  (sigma is sometimes called RMS width which is confusing).

In that case one would have (2*0.187)/(2*sigma) which is consistent with the 0.35 number Watanabe-san mentioned.

===most readers can stop there ===

I have also seen 0.44/T  where “T” is the full-width half max.    This is not 2*.187 because the full-width half max will not be exactly 2-sigma.   This has the advantage of not requiring any analysis of the pulse but just locating the leading and trailing 50% points.

The details of the 0.187 number are complicated; the “exact” number will depend on whether one literally means 3dB BW is the 3dB point (which gives 0.187) or one means transfer function has come down to |H(f)|=0.5.   Because pulses are seldom perfectly Gaussian the 0.2 number works fine.

For this presentation since we are only interested in the exponent g  in  BW [GHz] = (L[m])^-g,   it doesn’t really matter.

I should also mention that sigma and T above refer to the impulse response  and assume the width of the input pulse has been subtracted off or is negligible etc.  This can become a challenge with measurements at very short lengths.

I’m sorry I didn’t find good open access discussion

For the 0.187/sigma number this is mentioned in various textbooks I would mention the 1992 JLT paper by Gair Brown which is part of the basis for the “IEEE link model”: (sigma is equation 2)

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/136103

Gair Brown, “Bandwidth and Rise Time Calculations for Multimode Fiber-Optic Data Links”, JLT Volume 10 No. 5 May 1992 p.672.

For the 0.44/T  number this is mentioned in the chapter by C. Bunge in the book Polymer Optical Fibres eqn. 3.92:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780081000397000038

Equation 3.92 in C.A. Bunge et al., “Chapter 3-Basic Principles of optical fibres”,  in Polymer Optical Fibres, ed. Bunge, Gries, Beckers. New York: Elsevier, 2017

More explanation

A nice feature about the 0.187/sigma number is that it can be translated into analysis of glass optical fibers like OM3 and OM4 which can be understand as supporting 18 mode groups each with a mode delay tau_g and a model power P_g

If the mode delays are normalized relative to the mean delay  (sum of  Pg*tau_g), then the RMS variance sigma^2 is   (sum of Pg*tau_g^2) and sigma is the square root of this. Obviously the pulse itself is not Gaussian but what is important to the link is the low frequency content.