Re: [802.3EEESG] On the topic of tranistion time (was Re: [802.3EEESG] Comments on our work from Vern Paxson)

Ken-

I believe you misunderstood my suggestion and thesis.

My points were:
         1) There is a new class of consumer equipment and protocols being
developed in 802.1AVB. This "stuff" will have much more stringent
requirements for both latency and jitter, both in terms of absolute and
variability. I believe the requirements will be such that the applications
will not tolerate speed shifts during their streaming operations.

         2) The market volume and duty cycle of these systems will be such
it will absolutely NOT OK to disable (or ignore) power saving modes.

         3) These systems are not "legacy", they are current standards
projects. As such, hooks can be put into the protocols to support power
saving modes. That is, when a streaming application is firing up, the
device could send a packet requesting that the network switch to the higher
speed that is necessary to support the streaming application that is firing up.

I was, by no means, suggesting "a soft state of "link power management = off"

I was suggesting that link power management could be explicitly commanded
to change speeds by active packets in addition to a passive traffic
monitoring of (legacy) traffic levels.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Regards,

Geoff Thompson
\