[HSSG] BER Issue

All,

The HSSG reflector has not been highly utilized over the past couple of months.  I would like to encourage all to take advantage of this medium for consensus building.

As I noted in my other email to the reflector, we have not chosen a BER objective for this project.  There was considerable discussion on the subject back at the end of August, but no decision was reached.

In my review of the responses, I have seen some pushing for a BER of 10^-15, while others feel that this is impractical and will be expensive.  In private conversations, I have heard some suggesting a middle ground BER of 10^-13.

I encourage individuals to consider this issue and comment further here, as well as consider presentations regarding this matter at the January Interim.  It clearly has the possibility of impacting our responses to broad market potential, technical feasibility, and economic feasibility.

Thanks!

John