Re: [8023-POEP] [802.3] Interpretations received since March IEEE 802 Plenary meeting

I too agree with Mike, Yair, and Dave. The wording should be something along the line of " The PSE shall provide isolation between the PI pins and both system return and frame ground....."

Regards,

Hank Hinrichs

henryhinrichs@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--- Dave Dwelley at Linear Technology wrote:

As I recall, we discussed this at some length in the af meetings. Doesn't seem to have helped, as the text
is still broken. I suspect this text came right from the data portion of the standard, where isolating the
RJ45 from the PHY is feasible.

I'd recommend the PSE text be modified to resemble the PD text - I can't think of any reason why we'd care
where the actual isolation barrier is, as long as ground loops are prevented and humans can't touch the
line potential.

See you all in San Francisco -

Dave Dwelley
ddwelley@xxxxxxxxxx