Re: [8023-POEP] 2P v 4P and safety [Unscannable attachment] [Unscannable attachment]

Hello Yair and Geoff -

My two cents worth.

Do we really have to account for every possible configuration, or can we just choose to SET the standard and requirements for running PoE plus and govern the use.  i.e. You could choose not to have your application worry about 2x2Pair installations!

Geoff is right, many cabling folks make adapters to share sheaths, but I would not call that common in the field.  At least in the US, cabling designers and installers have been well educated regarding the need for multiple outlets and multiple cables, and have been following the guidelines of TIA and organizations like BICSI for may years. Many people are moving towards Gig anyway, and making sure their cabling plants support that.  I would expect you'll find shared sheath is only done in rare cases using adapters, and people with 2-pair per outlet are probably those with older installations and are either due for an upgrade for 1GBASE-T or to overcome the limit in current capacity of lower grade cable.

Finally, the cabling folks have been working on a DC Power document (shared with PoEP group) which sets the current limit per conductor to 420 mA on Category 5e and 6 (Class D and E) and 315 mA for Category 3.  This is well within the safety limit, but is also expected to maintain transmission characteristics. The key for the cabling folks is to ensure minimum temperature rise so reduce aging and insertion loss degradation.  The limits could be increased if a higher grade of cable is used.... and the cabling folks would probably LOVE to see you spec Augmented C6 (already needed for 10G) for PoEP :)-

With these limits in mind, you may find that all three options (1x4P-HP PD, 2x2P-HP PDs or 2x-802.3af PDs) will converge as far as concern about capacity.

I can't comment on detection considerations, as I don't have an idea of the complexity involved.

Regards,

SAA

>>> Yair Darshan <YairD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 6/8/05 3:40:36 AM >>>
Hi Geoff

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I understand that it is no law issue. When I use "legal" I meant
conformance to the relevant standards.

According to your last conclusion, I understand that splitting 4 pair
cable to 2 outlets (each outlet gets 2 pairs) is valid scenario which
PoEp has to address too.

Now we will have the following PD options:

High Power 4P PD

Or two High Power 2P PD's

Or two IEEE802.3af PDs

Do we really want detect and power all options or we wish to detect and
power only 4P or 2P high power or single IEEE802.3af PD and only prevent
damage to two IEEE802.3af PDs connected to the same cable and leave the
decision if to power it or not to the system (implementation specific
etc?).

Yair