Re: [8023-POEP] Power management discussions during ad-hoc

Hugh-

My comments would be along the line of general comments of stateful vs.
stateless.

Distributed state machines where the various pieces are connected by a
noisy communications channel are a problem.

Duplicate state machines where the multiple pieces are connected by a noisy
communications channel need to have a means to cope with:
         - detecting when they get out of sync
         - an established benign behavior to revert to when they get out of
sync
         - an established benign behavior to revert to when communication fails
           (and the assumption has to be that the remote went away)
The fact that we can generally assume that the channel is not very noisy
doesn't really help much. You can't depend on it enough.

None of these considerations, in a general sense, go away with stateless
design.
However, I think it is a little easier to do.

I hope this helps, at least to spark the discussion.

Geoff